Over 25.000 tasting notes

One of Norway's largest wine tasting note archives, containing more than 25.000 tasting notes. All tasted by one taster, not a panel, so Norway's most consistent archive as well. To find tasting notes? Search; mywinesandmore "wine name" on google, to find all notes from one property.

Thursday 26 November 2009

1998 Chateau Lafite Rothschild, uncorked to find cork

1998 Chateau Lafite Rothschild;
Corked. Twice. Cork is good in it's way, but maybe a screw cap is better. On whites at least, it seems to be true. I have very little problems with cork. I have to say that I feel very lucky, I do not have corked wines as often as 5-7 percent, as they say, for me it's more like 2. On cheaper wines, maybe upp to 4. Thank God. But it happens when you really do not wan't to. It does not matter too much on everyday plonk, even if it's really annoying, especially when you do not have a spare.

But when it ruins a good bottle, then it is just sad. When it ruins a truly great one, it's tragic. This one was. Corked as few, when it is absolutelly no doubt. Wet wool socks, wet cardboard, mold, not very pleasant. Al the cigar, blackcurrants and the fantastic pauillac notes gone. On this true beauty, it was tragic, this is one big favorite of the 98's, actually of all Bordeaux. I hope the TCA at least apreciated the wine while ruining it.

I have had corked Carruades in 98 as well, I hope it's not a problem of this vintage with Lafite.
I like wines to be corked once, then you can uncork it and have a great drink. Twice, and there is no pulltap in the world to uncork the second cork, unfortunatelly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.