Over 25.000 tasting notes

One of Norway's largest wine tasting note archives, containing more than 25.000 tasting notes. All tasted by one taster, not a panel, so Norway's most consistent archive as well. To find tasting notes? Search; mywinesandmore "wine name" on google, to find all notes from one property.

Wednesday 8 June 2011

Private dinner at Pontet-Canet

I thought we were invited for a big primeur party at Pontet-Canet. We arrived, and saw some five or six other cars parked and gathered, hmm, only a party of maybe twenty or thirty then, quite exclusive!

Melanie Tesseron came out and welcomed us, and we were invited for a trip in the vineyards. As we left the "asphalt", (there is very little, if any asphalt at Pontet-Canet) the other cars left as well, and we understood that it was the four of us in the golf car, long wheel based model, that were the guests. I'm not sure if I can remember all the details of Melanie's descriptions on vineyards and wine making as I first had to come to terms with us being the only guests for tonight's dinner. But I vividly recall Melanie in her suede, high heeled shoes walking into the vineyards. What a sight, fantastic!

When we entered the winery, Alfred Tesseron greeted us as well. He remembered me, and that I had visited before, but not when or how long ago. I could not tell him, or Melanie, the exact date then, as it felt it a bit personnel. The first time I visited Pontet-Canet, I had an exceptional guide and companion in Alfred, both in the winery and in the vineyards, even the cellars of Pontet-Canet. But when we came to the tasting, he said he had to be excused, because his brother passed away the day before, Melanie's father.

Therefore a special bond has been made between Pontet-Canet and myself, that goes beyond exceptionally fermented grape juice. A place of warmth and hospitality, and sometimes a silence between sentences that has a meaning beyond words. It was really special for me to be able to enjoy such a private occasion, both then and now. I recently bought a house, and I opened a bottle of Pontet-Canet to celebrate. Lets just leave it at that.

We were invited inside the Château, and up on the balcony for some light snack. Quite astonishing actually, to be up there with some gorgeous views, even of the Gironde estuary. Having some nice appetizers and they even served one of my favorite Champagnes, Taittinger Comtes de Champagne. 1998 vintage, pale lemon colour, elegant nose, minerals, lemon, oxidized apples, stunning nose, but not too intense. Seek and ye shall find as they say. Beautiful texture and freshness, superb balance, long, elegant and refreshing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.