Over 25.000 tasting notes

One of Norway's largest wine tasting note archives, containing more than 25.000 tasting notes. All tasted by one taster, not a panel, so Norway's most consistent archive as well. To find tasting notes? Search; mywinesandmore "wine name" on google, to find all notes from one property.

Saturday 29 December 2018

So what happened in 2018? Part 1



It’s that time of the year, when we all feel the need to tell the world of our doings in 2018. I have been so tired lately after moving houses in October and November, that I actually have felt that the entire 2018 has been a waste of time. And yes, it feels like it nearly killed me as I have rarely done more that I dislike in one year. But my. 2018 has actually been quite incredible. 


2018 started out with the warmest firework display I have encountered in Norway. On my terrace back in my former house, we enjoyed Champagne in balmy 16 degrees Celsius and not a cloud or any signs of fog in sight. I have never seen so many fireworks in my life. I used to have quite panoramic views from that house. And gazing out, I wondered where I would be in 365 days, as I knew; it wouldn’t be where I was standing. 








Only 3 weeks out, magic wines was to be had up in the mountains of Norway with some of my best wine friends. We enjoyed a 14 vintage vertical of Montrose back to 1967, some superb Evangile’s, back to 1955!, a lovely 2009 La Grande Rue, stunning 1990 Clos St Hune and more. Yes, it was a magic weekend. 











Back in Oslo it was a week of Burgundy, with a smashing masterclass of mature Meursault held by me (the wines were the smashing part…) before the Monopoly Burgundy release tasting which is always a highlight. 





By late January, off another group of wine collectors went to Spain, gorging on old Rioja for an oval week with lovely temperatures and lunch on the terrace, nearly daily. Oh what a lovely time! Stealing oranges… 














I was just home long enough to hold a Masterclass on Puligny before Tuscany and Florence awaited me. 

Brilliant tasting with Monteraponi and Montevertine at The Four Seasons in Florence, with Sting following me around Tuscany for a week. He was at that hotel, he was at the tasting after, and he was in Montalcino even, as I was there. (He was promoting his wine, and I actually never got around to taste it…) 




Anyways, 2015’s and 2016’s in Tuscany are both brilliant vintages, in different guise. And I managed to bring a ton of tea home from Via del Te. 








Up in Montalcino, Count Cinzano of Col d’Orcia held a superb dinner and vertical tasting. What a treat!





Back home, a splendid Penfolds tasting showing no less than 3 vintages of Grange! And 1978 Koonunga Hill! And it was alive! How cool is that?



 Then it was my first ever trip to Valladolid and Rueda. And I found several lovely wines in the region, and all the history of Spain. Such a fascinating country, and so much to see. And don’t get me started on the food. Some of the best I ever had was during this trip!










Grand Jours de Bourgogne, magical week for people in the business every two years held some tastings that is quite astonishing. 


Lovely tasting with Veronique Drouhin. And other masters!










Let me just ask, when was the last time you did a comparison of bottles of 1993 Musigny? I’ll let the pictures talk…









Bouchard did a spectacular tasting of their wines matched with special sushi, another pretty high up there dinner!


 And by now, March is over. 


 (By the way, the worst SUV in history. It is totally flat, and it just can't take any mud, at all...)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.